During the making of the Unselfish golf shorts, I realized that I kind of like top stitching and top stitching thread in particular. So you see, I ran out of excuses for not making a pair of jeans.
I googled for some back pocket stitching inspiration, and found the design I used here. I wanted to keep the stitching pretty classic, but added some green stitching to make them feel my own. Obviously I wanted to use purple, but my local fabric store doesn't share my love for all things purple and doesn't stock top stitching thread in that color. I know you are as shocked as I am.
So there I was, happily stitching along, feeling confident in my skills and the marvelous fit of the shorts-to-be - but then disaster struck. I tried them on for the first time - and I could barely get them past my knees. A fitting disaster! I had underestimated the difference between super and ridiculously super stretchy denim!
I had left a little more seam allowance than usual, and was able to squeeze out enough extra width to fit into the shorts. They were still very tight though, and by tight I don't mean 'oh, these are a bit snug' but more along the lines of 'I can't feel my lady parts'. I let out all the seams by 2-3 cm:s, and this is a stretchy denim. I have no idea how much to add when I'm going to attempt these in a regular denim.
I probably made this face when I tried the shorts on for the first time. You can almost see how I'm contemplating alternative hobbies: stamp collecting, bird watching and other relaxing and fulfilling pastimes. But I persevered. The waist band fits great since I made a muslin for it only after I was happy with the fit of the shorts. I followed Katie's advice and didn't interface the lining. At least it feels great with all the stretch in the denim.
These disaster-turned-favorite shorts are also part of the Summer Stashbust, yay!